Oil+Filter changes are an often neglected, greasy, lowly task, however they preserve & extend engine life.
For any vehicle under warranty, it's best to use & record OEM spec Fluids+Filters+ServiceIntervals, so to
not void that buyer protection. For a new vehicle\engine, changing fluids & filters after the first ~100miles
& again at 1000miles is recommended to clear away particulate matter from BreakIn, then routine 5k~10k
mile ServiceIntervals should be followed & adjusted for conditions. After factory warranties have expired,
opinions & preferences do vary; for this V6~4.0L~SOHC Engine, warranty lapsed many Miles\Years ago &
Oil+Filter+ServiceInterval are now as noted below, adjusted for duty, minor improvements & preferences.
The FactoryOE OwnersGuide Oil spec'd for this engine is 5qts of Ford# 5w30.Blended made by Conoco.
Considering the notorious OilPressurized TimingTensioners in this engine & winter snow plow duties,
after the warranty expired, I chose to start using 0w20.FullSyn in Autumn & 0w30.FullSyn in Spring.
YearRound I'd use 0w20 in colder climates, 0w30 in more typical climates, 0w40 in hotter climates.
As a proud CheapBas'ard, the typical choice is the cheapest at a BigBoxStore, labeled compliant with
AmericanPetroInstitute\API, SocietyOfAutoEngrs\SAE & InternatLubeSpecsAppCommittee\ILSAC.
The FactoryOE OwnersGuide Filter specified for this engine is a Purolator\Ford#fL820s\f1az-6731-bd.
Oil Filters with 0.750"Diam*16tpiThrd are typical on V6~4.0L~SOHC assemblies dated 2000May17\Before.
Oil Filters with 22mmDiam*1.5mmThrd are typical on V6~4.0L~SOHC engines made 2000May18\After, as it is for this engine built 2000Aug19. Here are specs & my debatable opinion on 3 Filters I have used:
- Wrench For 14mmDiam*1.5mmThrd*20mmLong*13~17mmHxHd DrainPlug: Ford# f6tz-6730-ba
- Filter StrapWrench\OffOnly For TightSpace: GearStrap \ ModifiedStrap
- WheelChocks, Jack, JackStands, ShopRags, AbsorbantLitter, ReCycleContainer, CatchPan
- DrainWasher: Ford# f77z-6734-ab, Emergency Substitute 1/8"Slice Of 1/2"ID Fuel\Oil Hose
- Filter 22mmDiam*1.5mmThrd: Ford#fL820s Swapped To K&N#hp2011 With 1"EasyOffHxHd
- Oil 5qts: 5w30.Blended Swapped To 0w30.FullSyn Each Spring & 0w20.FullSyn Each Autumn
- DrainValve 14mmDiam*1.5mmThrd Option To Ease Future OilChanges: Fumoto#f106n
Oil Change+Filter Procedure
- Remove Oil FillCap
- Remove DrainPlug; Allow Oil To Fully Drain
- Clean+Inspect DrainPlugt+Washer
- If DrainWasher Is Worn\Damaged, Emergency Substitute 1/8"Slice Of 1/2"ID Fuel\Oil Hose
- Install DrainValve If Preferred, Otherwise ReInstall DrainPlug
- HandStart Then WrenchTight Max19ftLb, Do NOT OverTighten
- Remove Old Filter, Use OffOnlyWrench\Strap If Needed
- Make Sure Old RubberSeal Comes Off With Old Filter
- Wipe Down Filter Seat+Threads & Around DrainPlug With A Clean ShopRag
- Wipe New Filter RubberSeal With Clean Oil
- Install New Filter; HandStart+1HandTight+2Hand90deg, Do NOT Use OffOnlyWrench\Strap
- Fill Engine With 5qts Of New Oil Then Replace FillCap
- Start+Idle Engine 5min Then 30min CoolDown
- Check DipStick & For Leaks; Tighten Filter+DrainPlug\Valve If Needed, Add Oil If Needed
- After 1st Drive & 30min CoolDown Again Check DipStick & For Leaks
If V6~4.0L~SOHC Engine hasn't run for 12 hours or longer, this EngineColdStart routine is recommended
for general PreLub of the Engine critical components & specificly to PrePressurize the TimingTensioners.
- Turn Key To RUN Not START, Let InstrumentCluster Lamp+BuzzerTest Complete
- Push+Hold GasPedal To Floor, InstrumentCluster OilPressureNeedle Should Be At Zero
- Turn Key To START, Let Engine CRANK Without Starting Until OilPressureNeedle Moves Or ~10secs
- Let Key SpringReturn To RUN, Engine CRANK Should Stop
- Release GasPedal, Turn Key To START; When Engine STARTS, Let Key SpringReturn To RUN
- OilPressureNeedle Should Quickly Rise+Hold At MidGage Position
Links To Related Info
Thanks go to the brave souls who've preceded me in similar adventures & freely shared their experience:
- https://web.archive.org/web/20210304032614if_/https://help.fumotooildrainvalve.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500002966182-List-of-Fumoto-Products Oil DrainValve Fumoto
- https://web.archive.org/web/20211016065051if_/https://sporttrac.org/threads/oil-drain-valve.121347 Oil DrainValve Fumoto#f106n