The ElectronicDistributorlessIgnitionSystem-6cylinder\EDIS-6 factory stock in this 2001 V6~4.0L~SOHC, became a Ford standard in the late 1980s; it was an innovative though relatively simple SolidState design which eliminated legacy MechanicalDistributors, reduced reliability issues & cut production costs. EDIS-6 was the norm on Ford V6 engines thru 2012 & then was superceded by CoilOnPlug\COP ignition systems.
Ignition systems still degrade+fail so replacement every 100kMiles will maintain efficiency+performance;
not doing so may likely contribute to premature CatConvertor failure, that are much more costly to repair.
Before removing Ignition components, sketch a system diagram or take pics as above, noting orientation
of the CoilPack, Wires, Plugs & related connections so to avoid a later mix up of the Cylinder Firing Order.
This V6~4.0L~SOHC engine, made 2000Aug in Germany.Cologne, was factory built with 2 types of Plugs:
3each Ford.agsf22pm PlatinumTip+CopperGround=SinglePlatinums were used for right cylinders 1+2+3;
3each Ford.agsf22pgm CopperTip+PlatinumGround=SinglePlatinums were used for left cylinders 4+5+6;
logic at the time was likely price of SinglePlatinums vs DoublePlatinums & reduced manufacturing costs.
EDIS fires 1+2+3 & 4+5+6 at opposing Voltages, allowing the unique FactoryOE opposing SinglePlatinum
Ford.agsf22pm & agsf22pgm Plugs; they were strictly OriginalEquipment & available only to Ford plants;
Ford# agsf22fm=agsf22pp=sp500, or OriginalMaker AutoLite# app103, are standard replacement Plugs.
Click here for the catalog specs on these Plugs. Click here for a chart diagnosing various Plug conditions.
Ford# 5u2z-12259-c is the factory Ignition Wire set; Ford# wr6120 are stock replacements, shown below;
the original 8mmOD Wire Lengths = 32i5, 32i5, 26i5, 17i5, 14i5, 12i5 plus the 3i75 PlugBoot & 1i75 CoilBoot.
Orignals, worn @240kMiles, were replaced with DayUSA# max28747 \ Moroso# 8689 Wires shown below;
the DayUSA 8mmOD Wire Lengths = 32i5, 27i5, 27i5, 19i5, 17i5, 17i5 plus the 3i75 PlugBoot & 1i75 CoilBoot.
Before installing the Wires, metal Contacts were lightly cleaned using Alcohol+CottonSwab+BarrelBrush;
DiElectric was then lightly applied in every Boot using a CottonSwab; do NOT put DiElectric on Contacts.
If any Wire Keeper or Loom is broken or missing, click here for an instructional video on making new ones.
Ford# 90tf-12029-a1a is the factory stock CoilPack part number; Ford# dge446 is the usual replacement;
"EDIS-6" Coils fire each Plug two times per cycle with the 2nd "Wasted Spark" during each exhaust stroke.
Ford# f67f-18801-aa is the RadioNoiseSuppressorCap wired between the CoilPack frame & its 12v supply; usually 25microFarad, it minimizes ignition interference with the vehicle Radio & any nearby Radios+TVs.
Thanks go to the brave souls who've preceded me in similar adventures & freely shared their experience:
- http://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/identifying-and-understanding-ford-ignition-systems.3764 IgnitionSystem EDIS
- http://web.archive.org/web/20200603110722if_/http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/2001fordexplorersporttrac/images/9/94/2001.Ford.ExST_Guid.Ownr_2000.06dd_Print3of6.PDF/revision/latest?cb=20200603110322#page=222 Plugs Gaps=0i052~0i056=0m0013~0m0014 Per OwnersGuide
- http://web.archive.org/web/20200603110722if_/http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/2001fordexplorersporttrac/images/9/94/2001.Ford.ExST_Guid.Ownr_2000.06dd_Print3of6.PDF/revision/latest?cb=20200603110322#page=218 Plugs Ford.agsf22fm=sp500 Replaces Ford.agsf22pp\agsf22pm\agsf22pgm Per OwnersGuide
- http://web.archive.org/web/20060709011422if_/http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/spark.pdf#page=4 Plugs Ford.agsf22fm=sp500 Replaces Ford.agsf22pp\agsf22pm\agsf22pgm Per AppCatalog
- http://web.archive.org/web/20060709011422if_/http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/spark.pdf#page=8 Plugs Ford.agsf22fm=sp500 PartCoding Per AppCatalog
- http://web.archive.org/web/20060709011422if_/http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/spark.pdf#page=62 Plugs Ford.agsf22fm=sp500 For 2001.Ford.ExplorerSportTrac.V6~4.0L~SOHC.Vin8=E Per AppCatalog
- http://youtu.be/cBjdRQf2AoI?t=10 Plugs Copper vs Nickel vs Platinum vs Iridium \ Chose Mnfr Spec
- http://youtu.be/jcVF3xL_fzk?t=0 Plugs AutoLite vs NGK vs E3 vs PulStar \ Chose Mnfr Spec
- http://web.archive.org/web/20200120184053if_/http://www.fordrangerforum.com/engine-drivetrain-guides/12697-install-spark-plugs-4-0-a.html Plugs Replace
- https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/original-spark-plugs-from-the-factory.433555 Plugs Replace
- https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/new-plugs-and-wires-big-change.427961 Plugs+Wires Replace
- https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/replace-spark-plugs-tune-up.299859 Plugs+Wires+CoilPack Replace
- https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/new-plugs-big-problems-wrong-gap-wrong-motorcraft-plugs-codes-and-misfires.292589 Plugs+Wires Replace+TroubleShoot
- http://youtu.be/zTEIY9AjJ0c?t=1 Plugs Replace
- http://youtu.be/loIHd9P8snk?t=33 Plugs+Wires Replace
- http://youtu.be/jXvN_cvt-Y4?t=16 Plugs+Wires Replace
- http://youtu.be/0eWfv2-iY0s?t=1 Plugs+Wires Replace
- http://youtu.be/l07oTpSDwtI?t=40 Plugs+Wires+CoilPack Replace
- https://www.ranger-forums.com/4-0l-ohv-sohc-v6-tech-33/helicoil-4-0-a-166490 Plugs Failed Threads
- http://youtu.be/5dTnq2QvC9w?t=2 CoilPack Testing
- http://youtu.be/pXrirCIzgB0?t=36 CoilPack Replace
- http://web.archive.org/web/20201020080644if_/https://ford-rangers.com/forum48/1399.html CoilPack Alternate
- http://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/operation-knock-sensor-4-0l-sohc-163995 KnockSensor
- http://web.archive.org/web/20210112091724if_/http://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/operation-knock-sensor-4-0l-sohc-163995 KnockSensor