The ElectronicDistributorlessIgnitionSystem-6cylinder\EDIS-6, fitted in this 2001 ExplorerSportTrac, first became a Ford standard in the late 1980s; an innovative yet relatively simple SolidState design, which eliminated legacy MechanicalDistributors & the related Reliability\Maintenance issues, plus reduced production costs. EDIS-6 was typical on Ford V6 engines thru 2012, then was generally superceded by CoilOnPlug\COP Ignition systems.
Ignition components still degrade & fail; replacement every ~100kMiles helps maintain efficiency & performance;
not doing so will likely contribute to premature failure of the CatConvertors, which are a much more costly repair.
Before removing any Ignition component, sketch a system diagram or take pics as above, noting the orientation
of the CoilPack, Wires, Plugs & their relative connections, so to avoid a later mix up of the Cylinder Firing Order.
This V6~4.0L~SOHC engine, made 2000Aug in Germany.Cologne, was factory built with 2 types of Ignition Plug:
3ea Ford.agsf22pm PlatinumTip+CopperGround=SinglePlatinums were used as Plugs for right cylinders 1+2+3;
3ea Ford.agsf22pgm CopperTip+PlatinumGround=SinglePlatinums were used as Plugs for left cylinders 4+5+6;
logic at the time was likely the price of SinglePlatinums versus DoublePlatinums & reduced manufacturing costs.
EDIS fires Plugs 1+2+3 & 4+5+6 at opposing Voltages, allowing the unique FactoryOE opposing SinglePlatinum
Ford.agsf22pm & agsf22pgm Plugs, though they're strictly OriginalEquipment & available only to Ford factories;
Ford.agsf22fm=agsf22pp=sp500 or original maker AutoLite.app103 are the standard replacement for all six.
Click here for catalog specifications of these Plugs. Click here for a chart on diagnosing various Plug conditions.
Ford.5u2z-12259-c is the FactoryOE Ignition Wire set & Ford.wr6120 is the spec Ignition Wire set, shown below;
FactoryOE 8mmOD Wire Lengths were 32i5, 32i5, 26i5, 17i5, 14i5, 12i5 plus a 3i75 PlugBoot & 1i75 CoilBoot.
FactoryOEs, worn but without a failure at 240kMiles, were replaced by the DayUSA.max28747 set, shown below;
replacement 8mmOD Wire Lengths are 32i5, 27i5, 27i5, 19i5, 17i5, 17i5 plus the 3i75 PlugBoot & 1i75 CoilBoot.
Before installing each Wire, the metal Contacts were lightly cleaned using Alcohol & CottonSwab\BarrelBrush,
& DiElectric was lightly applied inside each Boot with a CottonSwab; do NOT put DiElectric on metal Contacts.
If any of the Wire Keepers\Looms are broken or missing, click here for video instructions on making new ones.
Ford.90tf-12029-a1a is the FactoryOE CoilPack part number & Ford.dge446 is the spec replacement CoilPack;
this "EDIS-6" triple Coil fires each Plug twice per cycle, with the 2nd "Wasted Spark" during the exhaust stroke.
Ford.f67f-18801-aa is a RadioNoiseSuppressorCapacitor that's wired between the CoilPack frame & 12v supply; usually 25microFarad, it minimizes ignition noise & interference with this vehicles Radio & nearby Radios+TVs.
Links To Related Info
Thanks go to the brave souls who've preceded me in similar adventures & freely shared their experience below:
- http://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/identifying-and-understanding-ford-ignition-systems.3764 IgnitionSystem EDIS
- http://web.archive.org/web/20200603110722if_/http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/2001fordexplorersporttrac/images/9/94/2001.Ford.ExST_Guid.Ownr_2000.06dd_Print3of6.PDF/revision/latest?cb=20200603110322#page=222 Plugs Gaps=0i052~0i056=0m0013~0m0014 Per OwnersGuide
- http://web.archive.org/web/20200603110722if_/http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/2001fordexplorersporttrac/images/9/94/2001.Ford.ExST_Guid.Ownr_2000.06dd_Print3of6.PDF/revision/latest?cb=20200603110322#page=218 Plugs Ford.agsf22fm=sp500 Replaces Ford.agsf22pp\agsf22pm\agsf22pgm Per OwnersGuide
- http://web.archive.org/web/20060709011422if_/http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/spark.pdf#page=4 Plugs Ford.agsf22fm=sp500 Replaces Ford.agsf22pp\agsf22pm\agsf22pgm Per AppCatalog
- http://web.archive.org/web/20060709011422if_/http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/spark.pdf#page=8 Plugs Ford.agsf22fm=sp500 PartCoding Per AppCatalog
- http://web.archive.org/web/20060709011422if_/http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/spark.pdf#page=62 Plugs Ford.agsf22fm=sp500 For 2001.Ford.ExplorerSportTrac.V6~4.0L~SOHC.Vin8=E Per AppCatalog
- http://youtu.be/cBjdRQf2AoI?t=10 Plugs Copper vs Nickel vs Platinum vs Iridium \ Chose Mnfr Spec
- http://youtu.be/jcVF3xL_fzk?t=0 Plugs AutoLite vs NGK vs E3 vs PulStar \ Chose Mnfr Spec
- http://web.archive.org/web/20200120184053if_/http://www.fordrangerforum.com/engine-drivetrain-guides/12697-install-spark-plugs-4-0-a.html Plugs Replace
- https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/original-spark-plugs-from-the-factory.433555 Plug: Replace
- https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/new-plugs-and-wires-big-change.427961 Plugs+Wires Replace
- https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/replace-spark-plugs-tune-up.299859 Plugs+Wires+CoilPack Replace
- https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/new-plugs-big-problems-wrong-gap-wrong-motorcraft-plugs-codes-and-misfires.292589 Plugs+Wires Replace+TroubleShoot
- http://youtu.be/zTEIY9AjJ0c?t=1 Plugs Replace
- http://youtu.be/loIHd9P8snk?t=33 Plugs+Wires Replace
- http://youtu.be/jXvN_cvt-Y4?t=16 Plugs+Wires Replace
- http://youtu.be/0eWfv2-iY0s?t=1 Plugs+Wires Replace
- http://youtu.be/l07oTpSDwtI?t=40 Plugs+Wires+CoilPack Replace
- http://youtu.be/5dTnq2QvC9w?t=2 CoilPack Testing
- http://youtu.be/pXrirCIzgB0?t=36 CoilPack Replace
- http://web.archive.org/web/20201020080644if_/https://ford-rangers.com/forum48/1399.html CoilPack Alternate
- http://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/operation-knock-sensor-4-0l-sohc-163995 KnockSensor
- http://web.archive.org/web/20210112091724if_/http://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/operation-knock-sensor-4-0l-sohc-163995 KnockSensor